I thought I would start a bit of a challenge to personal finance bloggers or anyone to list 5 things big or small that bust your budget. You would think that the bigger the budget the bigger the buster would need to be but that’s not necessarily so. Small things add up quickly and tend to break my budget wide open before I have caught on to them.
1. My kids tend to be my biggest budget buster. Even though they don’t live with me full time right now when they come to visit it is that much harder to say no. The last trip they made down was when I was squeaking by until the end of the month. I was thrilled to see them but paying for their gas to come down on top of the extra food really killed my budget. They are both in high school though and it would have cost me twice as much to go pick them up and return them.
2. Eating out while shopping. It is way too tempting to grab a burger when I go out shopping. I don’t have the opportunity to eat fast food often and it’s kind of a treat. However it’s also a double hit to my budget.
3. Soda on road trips. Everything is a half hour to an hour away. I have been in the habit for years of grabbing a soda for the trip and it’s proving a hard habit to break. Somehow they just jump into my van before I realize it.
4. Late fees. These absolutely kill my budget and there is not much I can do about it right now. I can’t pay bills with money I don’t have so things tend to be late. The extra monthly charge is killing me not to mention my credit.
5. Overdraft fees. Again, there is really no excuse for this. However, it does happen now and again usually due to me trying to avoid late fees and deposits not getting posted to my account when I think they should.
I have been on a campaign to eliminate the last two but I can tell you it’s a challenge right now. I don’t know how they can get a payment in the mail and have it post to my account before the deposit that I made at the bank on the same day as I mailed the check. I guess the postal system isn’t as slow as they say.
So those are my 5 Budget Busters. The rules of the challenge are that you have to tag 3 people to carry it on and link back to the person who tagged you. Please also use the graphic at the top of this post. You can link to it or copy and paste it.
I am tagging:
Lynnae at Being Frugal.net
Peter at Bible Money Matters
Mrs. Micah at Mrs. Micah
Anyone else who would like to join the challenge is welcome!
- The Daily Debt Snowflake Challenge #1 I am going to be posting a different challenge each...
- Thoughts on Budget Leakage and Paying Cash When I reviewed my budget yesterday, I was looking for...
- Daily Flake Challenge # 4 The Debt Snowflake of the day is: Give up one...
- Budget Review for February It’s been awhile since I have done an actual budget...
- Daily Flake Challenge # 7 The Debt Snowflake of the day is: Have an at-home...
Tags: budget busters